Cristiano Ronaldo and Herbalife
Herbalife’s sponsorship of Cristiano Ronaldo is a huge asset for creating global brand exposure and recognition and we are anxious to use it to the fullest extent possible to grow the Herbalife brand worldwide.
However, because it is a contractual relationship, there are specific rules we must follow when talking about the relationship and depicting Ronaldo in our marketing materials. Failure to adhere to these rules could put our relationship in jeopardy. Conversely, working within the guidelines will provide everyone with great opportunities to promote Herbalife and Herbalife® products.
- Logos and Images
- Distributors may use only Cristiano Ronaldo’s image in tools created by Herbalife’s marketing department and made available for download at MyHerbalife.com, offered for purchase in the company’s current catalog or made available from Distributor Relations upon request.
- Distributors may use Cristiano Ronaldo tools as provided. They may not edit or alter them in any way.
- Distributors may not create their own brochures, flyers or any other marketing tools using Ronaldo’s CR7 logo, images or video or audio files.
- Describing the Relationship. Although Distributors may not use Ronaldo’s logo, images, video or audio files in their personally created marketing tools, they are encouraged to cite this relationship in promoting Herbalife® products. The following statements, as they are worded below, are accurate, permissible and encouraged; they may be used individually and in combination:
- Herbalife is the Global Nutrition Partner of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Herbalife is the Official Nutrition Sponsor of Cristiano Ronaldo.
Herbalife is the Official Wellness Sponsor of Cristiano Ronaldo.
Herbalife is the Official Sports Performance Supplement Sponsor of Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is an Herbalife-sponsored athlete.
- In Relation to Cristiano Ronaldo
- Cristiano Ronaldo is an Herbalife-sponsored athlete
- Herbalife is the Global Nutrition Partner of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Herbalife is the Official Nutrition Sponsor of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Media Coverage
- Distributors may keep personal copies of Ronaldo media coverage and review or refer to that coverage with customer or Distributor prospects, or within their organizations.
- For example, Distributors may keep a personal copy of a magazine featuring Ronaldo and show it to prospects and persons in their organizations.
- Distributors may post links to Ronaldo’s media coverage on their Herbalife-provided Distributor website, but such links must be accompanied by the following disclaimer: “By clicking on this link, you will exit this Herbalife Independent Distributor website and visit a website that is not formally associated with Herbalife or its independent Distributors.”
- Distributors may not reproduce, reprint or post any Ronaldo coverage including, but not limited to, articles, titles and headlines on their websites. For example, Distributors may not make copies of a sports magazine featuring Ronaldo and hand it out to prospects, nor may Distributors feature the article in visual materials, such as PowerPoint®* presentations or pitch books.
- Frequently Asked Questions. One of the great things about the sponsorship of Cristiano Ronaldo is that he is a worldwide “brand” with worldwide visibility – which means the eyes of the world are trained on us. To protect our brand and ensure that we do not jeopardize our relationship with Ronaldo, we must follow the promotional guidelines. Below are answers to some important questions:
- What is the overall promotional policy for the Herbalife–Cristiano Ronaldo relationship?. The policy is that Distributors may only use Cristiano Ronaldo in marketing tools created by Herbalife. Marketing tools are available and more are being created; they are available for download at MyHerbalife.com, and some may be offered for purchase in the product catalog.
- May I say that Cristiano Ronaldo is sponsored by or endorses Herbalife? Yes. Cristiano Ronaldo is directly sponsored by Herbalife, so you may say that he is an Herbalife-sponsored athlete and endorses Herbalife.
- May I use Ronaldo’s picture and/or name? Yes. You may use Cristiano Ronaldo’s name when you talk about Herbalife; however, the use of his image is
limited to the materials provided to you by Herbalife.
- May I say that Cristiano Ronaldo uses Herbalife® products? Yes. Because he is an Herbalife-sponsored athlete, you may say that he uses and endorses the products.
- May I say that other Real Madrid players use Herbalife® products? No. Herbalife’s sponsorship deal is only with Cristiano Ronaldo and does not imply or create an association with any of his Real Madrid teammates. This sponsorship is only of Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Which products are not part of the Ronaldo sponsorship? Any products in the skincare line. All other products can be associated with Ronaldo.
- May I alter or personalize the marketing tools I get from Herbalife? No. Distributors may not alter Cristiano Ronaldo marketing tools.
- May I at least mention the relationship in my personally created marketing materials? Of course! Distributors are encouraged to mention the relationship when promoting the products and business opportunity. However, Ronaldo’s image and personal logo may not be used in personally created marketing materials.
- May I use media coverage of Cristiano Ronaldo when promoting Herbalife® products and business opportunity? Distributors may keep personal copies of media coverage and review or refer to that coverage with customers and prospects within contained, controllable environments. Distributors may not publicly post or use media coverage, images or content in open and/or uncontrolled environments. When it comes to the Web, Distributors may post links to other sites that contain the original content, but they cannot host that content themselves and must include the following disclaimer: “By clicking on this link, you will exit this Herbalife Independent Distributor website and visit a website that is not formally associated with Herbalife or its independent Distributors.”
Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the greatest soccer players in the game today. Two-time winner of the European Golden Shoe, the 2008 and 2013 winner of the Ballon d’Or*, FIFPro Player of the Year, World Soccer Player of the Year, FIFA World Player of the Year and the Onze d’Or, Ronaldo has broken numerous records and continues to make his mark on his team Real Madrid, in La Liga and in international competition.
Born in Santo Antonio, a neighborhood of Funchal, Maderia, Ronaldo began his soccer career at age eight playing for the amateur team Andorinha where he was quickly noticed and signed by local club Nacional and, after winning the championship was recruited by Sporting CP who signed him at age 13. In 2003, after great success at Sporting CP, Manchester United signed Ronaldo where he played until 2009 when Real Madrid signed him for the biggest contract in soccer history. In addition to his league play, Ronaldo plays for his country, and has represented Portugal in the Euro and World Cup tournaments. Off the field, Ronaldo is active in charitable activities and is Global Artist Ambassador for Save the Children and ambassador for The Mangrove Care Forum in Indonesia. *Herbalife is not affiliated with FIFA.